The Our Daily Bread Chicken Baking Ministry is Changing and We Need Your Help!
After almost 40 years of serving as chairs of the Our Daily Bread Chicken Baking Ministry at St. Louis Church, Dr. Fred and Mrs. Mary Agnes Lewis are retiring. We cannot thank them enough for their many years of dedicated service! Every month, they collected baked chicken at their home on Ten Oaks Road and, along with a group of parish volunteers, packed it up, drove it to downtown Baltimore and served it to over 700 of our less fortunate brothers and sisters in Christ. The guests at Our Daily Bread include many senior citizens and young children and the afternoon meal is often their only meal of the day.
We are going to continue this important ministry on the campus of Saint Louis and we need your help to make the transition as smooth as possible. Beginning in October, we will begin collecting cooked, bagged chicken at the maintenance barn on the Sunday before the second Tuesday of the month from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm. Due to the new time and location constraints, WE CAN ONLY ACCEPT CHICKEN ON THIS DATE AND TIME. Please read the new procedures listed below and prayerfully consider joining us in this important social justice ministry.
Chicken Baker Instructions
- Purchase chickenpieces (thighs and legs are great) and prepare them using a simple recipe like putting them in a baking pan, brushing them with olive oil and bake for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- If you purchase a cooked rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, please refrigerate it and cut it into pieces BEFORE you bag it. Do not donate a whole chicken.
- Please remember to refrigerate the chicken before you drop it off. The chicken must be cold when it is placed in the cooler.
- Put the cold, cooked chickenin one gallon plastic bags and drop it off at the maintenance barn before or after Mass on the Sunday before the Second Tuesday of each month (see dates below).
- If you don’t have time to make chicken, you can donate institutional-sized cans of green beans and large boxes of instant mashed potatoes (They are sold at Costco, BJ”s and Sam’s Club).
- You can make a cash/check donation and we will purchase the requested items. Mark the envelope “Chicken Bakers” and place the envelope in the collection basket on Sunday.
We also need COLLECTION VOLUNTEERS. Many parish ministries have stepped up to volunteer one or more months at the maintenance barn collection station. We are in need of individual parish volunteers who can be available for one 90 minute shift – Sunday 7:30 am to 9:00 am, 9:00 am to 10:30 am, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm and 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm. Training will be provided. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how you can help.
Remaining Drop off Dates for FY2017-18