This page will be updated periodically with service opportunities that are available to high school students and their families. Please let the CYM Office know if you are aware of something that could be shared on this page!
Confirmation students: Service is a component of your Confirmation prep. 5 hours are to be spent on service to a marginalized population and 5 hours are to be spent serving at St. Louis Parish. You are to provide a reflection when you are finished. See the Components-Paperwork page for more information.
Service Opportunities Outside of St. Louis
The following opportunities require parent presence or validation as it is outside of CYM’s purview:
- Our Daily Bread | 410-659-4000 | You may also volunteer for Our Daily Bread via St. Louis Chicken Baking Ministry: https://www.stlouisparish.org/outreach/our-daily-bread/
- Beans & Bread | 410-732-1891
- Elizabeth House | 301-776-9296
- Franciscan Center | 410-467-5340
- Paul’s Place | 410-625-0775
- Maryland Food Bank | 410-737-8282
Service Opportunities Within St. Louis Parish Community
The following opportunities are coordinated with the St. Louis CYM Office and are considered in-parish service:
- Italian Dinner March 8-10, 2019. CYM’s biggest fundraising and community-building event of the year! Requires over 300 volunteers to make it happen. Sign up here: http://www.stlouisparish.org/cym/italian-dinner/. No permission form required.
- Sweets and Service (ongoing) Weekend baking events benefiting local organizations. Coordinated by Lauren Sprankle. No permission form required. Contact Pat for more information and future dates.
- Nursing Home Visits (ongoing) Catechist Joe VanderGracht Organizes weekend Nursing Home Visits || 3 Saturdays a month (can go on any Saturday, does not have to be 3 consecutive Saturdays) || leaving St. Louis at 9:30am and returning at noon || Contact Joe VanderGracht for more details or to sign up– firstname.lastname@example.org. Requires permission form.
- Grass Roots (ongoing)– Dorothy Howard 410-531-6006, email@example.com
Prepare sandwiches and lunch items for the dining room. Requires permission form, downloadable here: http://www.stlouisparish.org/cym/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/BRUNCH-Permission-Forms.pdf
This is the schedule to serve Brunch at Grassroots for spring 2019:
April 7th – Contact Mrs. Hamilton
April 28th – Contact Mrs. Caddigan — FULL!
May 5th – Contact Mrs. Krein
May 19th – Contact Mrs. Hamilton
June 2 – Contact Mrs. Krein
June 16- Contact Mrs. Caddigan
- Vacation Bible School || July 15-19, 2019 || Click Here for More Details
- Clarksville Picnic June 29, 2019. Always the last Saturday in June, rain or shine! The parish’s biggest community building event of the year.Opportunities begin in June with the White Elephant Sale. CYM holds a picnic camp the week before the picnic to help set up. Many opportunities to volunteer on picnic day! Look for sign ups in late Spring.
Frequently Asked Questions about Confirmation Service
- What did you do at St. Louis and how did you grow in faith through this experience? (Was there a particular person or situation that impacted you?)
- What did you do to serve the wider community and how did you grow in faith through this experience? (Was there a particular person or situation that impacted you?) Can you correlate this with a Corporal Work of Mercy?
- Why do you think Service is a necessary component for Confirmation prep?