Service Opportunities Within St. Louis Parish Community
The following opportunities are coordinated with the St. Louis CYM Office and are considered in-parish service:
- Lunches for People who are Homeless (ongoing)
St. Louis CYM is again collecting pre-made bagged lunches which will be delivered to Grassroots and Our Daily Bread. Each bag should contain: PB&J sandwich, snack item such as chips or granola bar, and a water bottle. Drop off at the maintenance barn (at church parking lot). Contact Pat if interested: firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 531-6668 ext. 271.
- Urban Hunger Project (ongoing)
Serve the hungry directly in West Baltimore with the Urban Hunger Project organization. Coordinated by CYM. We meet at St. Louis and drive in the St. Louis Activity Bus together. Requires waiver. Contact Luisa if interested: email@example.com or (410) 531-6668 ext 272.
- Italian Dinner Weekend - March 11-13, 2022. CYM's biggest fundraising and community-building event of the year! Stay tuned...
- Workcamp Retreat with Washington County Habitat || July 11-15, 2022. Contact Pat for more information.
- Vacation Bible School || July 2022. Yes! It's happening -- stay tuned for more information...
- Clarksville Picnic || June 25, 2022. Yes! It's happening -- stay tuned for more information...
Service Opportunities Outside of St. Louis
The following opportunities require parent presence or validation as it is outside of CYM’s purview:
- The Shrine of St. Anthony is looking for volunteers to help prepare for our Annual Easter Egg Hunt. The Friars need people to help with the Egg Hunt on Saturday April 16, 2022 from 8:30am to 12:30pm. We will provide a free pizza lunch for this event and can sign any forms needed to verify service hours. Please contact Joe White at Joseph.White@ShrineofStAnthony.org or call 410-531-2800 to let us know you are coming!
- Columbia Pregnancy Center | 410-730-3223
- Mary's Home | 443-574-7746 a maternity home in Howard County for single mothers with unplanned pregnancies. They are seeking "Mommy's Helpers" to spend time with and help care for the baby while mothers take time to work on educational, occupational and personal goals. Help is needed after school, evenings and weekends based on moms' individual needs. Parental supervision or permission required for those under 18. This service is outside of CYM's purview.
- Our Daily Bread | 410-659-4000 | You may also volunteer for Our Daily Bread via St. Louis Chicken Baking Ministry: https://www.stlouisparish.org/outreach/our-daily-bread/
- Little Portion Farm | (443) 585-8005
- Beans & Bread | 410-732-1891
- Elizabeth House | 301-776-9296
- Franciscan Center | 410-467-5340
- Paul’s Place | 410-625-0775
- Maryland Food Bank | 410-737-8282
- International Rescue Committee | 410 327 1885 ext. 173
- JusticeworX (Summer service in NJ) | 609-498-6216
Frequently Asked Questions about Confirmation Service
- What did you do at St. Louis and how did you grow in faith through this experience? (Was there a particular person or situation that impacted you?)
- What did you do to serve the wider community and how did you grow in faith through this experience? (Was there a particular person or situation that impacted you?) Can you correlate this with a Corporal Work of Mercy?
- Why do you think Service is a necessary component for Confirmation prep?
This page will be updated periodically with service opportunities that are available to high school students and their families. Please let the CYM Office know if you are aware of something that could be shared on this page!
Confirmation students: Service is a component of your Confirmation prep. 5 hours are to be spent on service to a marginalized population and 5 hours are to be spent serving at St. Louis Parish. You are to provide a reflection when you are finished. See the Components-Paperwork page for more information.