This page will be updated periodically with service opportunities that are available to high school students and their families. Please let the CYM Office know if you are aware of something that could be shared on this page!
Confirmation students: Service is a component of your Confirmation prep. 5 hours are to be spent on service to a marginalized population and 5 hours are to be spent serving at St. Louis Parish. You are to provide a reflection when you are finished. See the Components-Paperwork page for more information.
Service Opportunities Outside of St. Louis
The following opportunities require parent presence or validation as it is outside of CYM’s purview:
- Columbia Pregnancy Center | 410-730-3223
- Our Daily Bread | 410-659-4000 | You may also volunteer for Our Daily Bread via St. Louis Chicken Baking Ministry: https://www.stlouisparish.org/outreach/our-daily-bread/
- Little Portion Farm | (443) 585-8005
- Beans & Bread | 410-732-1891
- Elizabeth House | 301-776-9296
- Franciscan Center | 410-467-5340
- Paul’s Place | 410-625-0775
- Maryland Food Bank | 410-737-8282
- International Rescue Committee | 410 327 1885 ext. 173
Service Opportunities Within St. Louis Parish Community
The following opportunities are coordinated with the St. Louis CYM Office and are considered in-parish service:
- Italian Dinner Weekend - March 13-14, 2021. CYM's biggest fundraising and community-building event of the year! It will look a bit different this year, but it WILL go on! Sign up to make meatballs here.
Sign up to help clean up here.
- Sweets and Service (ongoing - will resume when it's safe to do so) Weekend baking events benefiting local organizations. Coordinated by Lauren Sprankle. No permission form required. Contact Pat for more information and future dates.
- Nursing Home Visits (ongoing - will resume when it's safe to do so) Catechist Joe VanderGracht Organizes weekend Nursing Home Visits || 3 Saturdays a month (can go on any Saturday, does not have to be 3 consecutive Saturdays) || leaving St. Louis at 9:30am and returning at noon || Contact Joe VanderGracht for more details or to sign up– email@example.com. Requires permission form.
- Grass Roots (ongoing)– Will resume when it's safe to do so. Dorothy Howard 410-531-6006, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prepare sandwiches and lunch items for the dining room. Requires permission form, downloadable here: http://www.stlouisparish.org/cym/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/BRUNCH-Permission-Forms.pdf
- Vacation Bible School || July 2021 pending...
- Clarksville Picnic || June 26, 2021 pending...
Frequently Asked Questions about Confirmation Service
- What did you do at St. Louis and how did you grow in faith through this experience? (Was there a particular person or situation that impacted you?)
- What did you do to serve the wider community and how did you grow in faith through this experience? (Was there a particular person or situation that impacted you?) Can you correlate this with a Corporal Work of Mercy?
- Why do you think Service is a necessary component for Confirmation prep?